Free printable of vowels illustrations designed to teach in a fun way English vowels names to Spanish-speakers.
Download for free as Flash Cards and Posters (at the bottom of this page)
I remember when I taught the English singular pronoun “I” to a boy and a girl in Mexico, that they only started paying attention to me (and actually remembering what they’ve learned on the next day) whenever I pretended to hurt myself at the moment of showing how “I” is pronounced, since us Spanish-speakers say -or shout- “¡Ay!” instead of “ouch”.
After this experience, whenever I try to teach any kind of English words, I try to match the sound with something that is already familiar to the kids in their native language.
This ESL printable was designed with that idea in mind, using Spanish expressions to represent the vowels’ names in English, with a bit of a humor twist to add playfulness to the lesson, since I also believe that learning (and teaching!) without play makes any lesson harder and boring for both parties ?.
- A – ¡ei! (letter “a” is yelling at someone that wants to steal a cookie)
- E – ¡iii! (letter “e” is playing on a swing)
- I – ¡ai! (letter “I” is getting stung by a bee)
- O – ou (letter “o” dropped its ice cream on the floor)
- U – iu (letter “u” is disgusted by a poo on the floor)
*UPDATE* This was said in a comment on this Facebook post by a nice user from Ukraine: “The emotions that you have used for your images are quite understandable for Russians and Ukrainians as well”.
Activity for this printable:
- You can see this set of images also on this Facebook post.
Planning to use this printable?
If you do this with your kids, I’d LOVE to see pictures of your pics posted on the Facebook wall of Box of Ideas.
Get the PDF:
* Quick Note * My beloved email friends get my newest printables before anyone else, right in their inbox!
Sign up here if you’d like me to add you to that list 🙂
1. Click above on the “Download Printable” button.
2. Click on “I want this!” (either leave the price as $0 to download for free, or support this project with a donation from your kind heart. Much appreciated!).
3. Enter your e-mail and get your files in your preferred language(s).
The Author: Rodrigo Macias is a bilingual creative mixing his experience working in Childcare and Design to come up with imaginative & educational printables and activities for kids.